This is a fantastic recipe for moist, spongy Banana Muffins or Bread. It’s great either way. I prefer to make muffins because they cook quicker and I don’t have to slice the bread.
The recipe originates from my boyfriends mothers Banana Bread recipe. As soon as I tried her banana bread, I had to have the recipe. While it was quite awesome in its original state, I tweaked it up to get it just the way I wanted. What I loved most about this banana bread was that it wasn’t dense like most banana breads I’d had in the past. Add moist, spongy and oh so yummy to the list and well it’s a recipe I need to make mine.
Recently I tried adding a cup of blueberries to my banana muffins and they were awesome. I can’t believe I had never thought to try that over the years. Now I plan to try raspberries and strawberries.
See Recipe Notes for some tips on making homemade bread or muffins.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Chopped Nuts (optional)
- 1 cup mashed ripe Banana’s (3 – 4 Banana's)
- 1/2 cup Plain Non-Fat Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Margarine or Butter (melted)
- 3 eggs whites
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Oil and flour bread pan or spray muffin tins with cooking spray
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nuts
- In a separate bowl mash banana's
- Melt butter, set aside.
- Add yogurt, egg whites, vanilla extract and almond extract (if using) to mashed banana's, mix well with spoon until well blended
- Add melted margarine to banana mix, mix well
- Add banana mix to flour mix, stir just until moistened
- Spoon batter into muffin tins or loaf pan
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes or bread for 50-60 minutes at 350
- When toothpick comes out clean, muffins/bread is done.