Best Tortilla Soup recipe shared by RecipesnFood.
Best Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 whole chicken breast (about 1¼-lbs)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil plus additional for frying the tortillas
- 14 to 16 oz can tomatoes, drained
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 fresh or pickled jalapeño peppers, or to taste, seeded and minced
- 6 7 inch corn tortillas, halved and cut crosswise into ¼-inch-wide strips
- Chopped fresh coriander for garnishing if desired
- In a large saucepan combine the chicken breast, broth, and 3 cups water.
- Bring the liquid to boil, and simmer the chicken, covered for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Let the chicken cool in the broth. Transfer the chicken to a bowl reserving the broth. Discard the skin and bones. Shred the meat.
- In a heavy skillet cook the onion and the garlic in 2-tbsp of oil over medium heat, stirring, until the onion is golden.
- In a blender or food processor puree the mixture with the tomatoes. Stir the puree into the reserved broth with the lime juice and the peppers. Simmer the soup for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the cleaned skillet, heat ¼ inch of the additional oil over medium-high heat until it is hot but not smoking.
- Fry the tortilla strips in batches for 30 to 45 seconds, or until they are crisp. Transfer them as they are fried with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Add the shredded chicken and the tortilla strips to the soup.
- Simmer the soup for 1 to 2 minutes, or until it is heated through. Ladle the soup into heated bowls and garnishing it with the coriander.