Black Pepper Tofu recipe shared by Nikki from MyNutriCounter.
Black Pepper Tofu
Author: Nikki - MyNutriCounter
Recipe type: Dinner
- 500g/17.5oz firm tofu, cut into cubes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 15ml/0.5fl oz vegetable oil for sauteeing
- 2 tsp. cornstarch for the sauce/plus 1 tsp. for dusting
- 50g/1.75oz red pepper, thinly sliced
- 20g/0.75oz ginger, julienne
- 125ml/4.25fl oz water
- 30ml/1fl oz sweet soy sauce
- 30ml/1fl oz light soy sauce
- 2 tsp. palm sugar
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns, slightly crushed
- 7g/0.25oz spring onions for garnish
- Lightly dust tofu with cornstarch, shaking off excess.
- Pan fry in vegetable oil, turning occasionally until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan.
- Sauté ginger, red pepper, and black peppercorns until aromatic.
- Stir together water, cornstarch, sweet soy sauce, light soy sauce, and sugar in a bowl until free from lumps.
- Pour mixture into the pan and simmer until thick.
- Toss the fried tofu cubes into the sauce until evenly coated.
- Top with chopped spring onions.
Tip: Tofu may also be baked instead of fried. Expel as much moisture out of tofu blocks by pressing then bake for 30 minutes at 175C/350F, flipping halfway through the cooking time.