Coconut Panna Cotta with Fresh Strawberry Sauce recipe shared by Nikki from MyNutriCounter.
Among the famous Italian sweets, or dolces, panna cotta is one of the highest ranks by popularity. This creamy white dessert originates in the Piedmont region in northwest Italy. The recipe had only really been given its modern form in the 1960s, unfortunately the exact history of its creation is unclear. Some believe panna cotta is a lightened derivative of the traditional French crème brulee or Bavarian cream desserts, while others suggest it is a version of the old Sicilian dessert Biancomangiare. There is also a legend that the recipe was firstly brought to Northern Italy by one Hungarian lady in 1900s.
Its basic ingredients are cream, milk and sugar which consequently make it one of the most versatile desserts. The simplicity of the recipe has enabled many Michelin starred chefs to turn this white pudding recipe into true masterpieces being inspired by paintings of famous artists and the endless array of surrounding nature.
Let’s follow the inspiration of Michelin stars to touch the poetry of sweetness. Our panna cotta doesn’t contain cholesterol as it uses coconut cream instead of traditional milk version. One recent study in 2016 shows that coconut oil is rich in vitamin A and E precursors, and in moderate consumption it can promote a healthy blood lipid balance. Glucose and fructose are the main sugar constituents of the honey, where the fructose has a positive effect on blood sugar levels. Vanilla extract is able to inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria and promote beneficial ones. It also has strong antioxidant properties reducing cell aging and the risk of some types of cancer as well. Also having a specific sweet flavour, vanilla can alleviate anxiety and reduces the effects of a bad mood as well. Strawberry contains a lot of phenolic substances which help to repair DNA damage and help to reduce risk of oxidative stress-related diseases like chronic inflammation or type II diabetes.
- 400ml/13.50fl oz coconut cream
- 10g/0.33oz gelatin powder
- 40ml/1.33fl oz honey
- 1 tsp.vanilla extract
- 150g/5.25oz strawberries, chopped
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 15g/0.5oz coconut sugar
- Combine coconut cream, gelatin powder, honey, and vanilla extract in a sauce pot.
- Stir over low heat just until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Pour into individual jars or ramekins and chill for 4 hours.
- Combine strawberries, vanilla, and sugar in a non-stick pan.
- Cook over medium heat until strawberries are soft and sauce is thick, stirring constantly. Add water in tablespoons if needed.
- Set aside to cool.
- Top set panna cottas with prepared strawberry sauce.