Dash Diet Chili
Dash Diet Chili is a nice, healthy chili.
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 lb ground beef (preferably extra-lean)
- water (as needed)
- 2 large tomatoes (may substitute for 2 cups canned tomatoes)
- 4 cups canned kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- Jalapeno Peppers (to taste; seeded and chopped)(optional)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbs cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tbs chili powder
- In a medium sized pot, on the stove top, cook the ground beef and onions until the meat is browned and the onion is translucent. Drain the grease.
- Add in the tomatoes, kidney beans, celery, sugar and chili powder.
- Allow this mixture to cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Be sure to stir often.
- After 10 minutes, stir in water to desired thickness, then stir in cornmeal. Let simmer on the stove for as long as you would like; at least 10 minutes, but the longer it cooks the better the flavors will blend.
- After pouring into bowls, use the jalapeno peppers to garnish (if desired).