Japanese Vegetable Curry with Duck Sushi Rice Balls recipe shared by Nikki from MyNutriCounter.
Japanese curry is a one-dish meal that’s beloved by busy homemakers and it’s a favourite of children too. It continues to be a much-loved dish in later life too. Curry powder entered Japan in the second half of 19th century when British merchants set up stores in Yokohama to sell Indian goods. Curry rice gained popularity in Japan receiving the local name kare-raisu. Traditionally it contains vegetables, meat or seafood cooked in a thick curry sauce served over rice. Curry rice is served in a boat-shaped porcelain bowl or in a western-style soup plate. Here we offer a vegetarian version of this piquant dish.
Curry powder is a savoury and spicy mixture of coriander, cumin, pepper, chilli pepper, ginger, fenugreek, onion, cinnamon, paprika, saffron, cilantro, turmeric or basil. The list of ingredients depends on the area of origin of the mix. The herbs and spices listed above contain essential oils and biologically active substances inhibiting growth of such dangerous bacteria like pathogenic E.coli or Salmonella. Various peppers serve as powerful appetizers, so savoury and bitter tastes enhance secretion of gastric juices and emphasise the taste of the dish. Cinnamon and ginger are immune promoters and may help you feel better when coming down with a cold.
Rice is the basis of this dish providing it with digestible energy. Rice doesn’t contain gluten (except for some fortified products) so it can be used in gluten-free diets.
- 330g/11.5oz uncooked sushi rice
- 560ml/19fl oz vegetable stock
- 10ml/0.33fl oz sesame oil
- 10ml/0.33fl oz honey
- ½ tsp. salt
- 5g/0.25oz turmeric powder
- 30ml/1fl oz + 15ml/0.5fl oz soya oil
- 15g/0.5oz flour (gluten-free variant)
- 10g/0.33oz garlic, minced
- 5g/0.25oz oriental curry powder
- 150g/5.25oz white onion, diced
- 150g/5.25oz zucchini, diced
- 150g/5.25oz carrot, diced
- 150g/5.25oz potatoes, diced
- 30ml/1fl oz tomato sauce
- 30ml/1fl oz low-sodium soy sauce
- Rinse rice under a running tap until water runs clear.
- Transfer rice to a stockpot.
- Add vegetable stock and turmeric powder.
- Bring to a boil.
- Switch heat to low and cover.
- Steam for 17 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave cover on for another 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork.
- Combine sesame oil and honey in a bowl.
- Toss mixture into the sushi rice.
- Season with salt.
- Heat 30ml/1fl oz of soya oil in a pan. Add flour and curry powder. Roast for 1-2 minutes and set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat 15ml/0.5fl oz of soya oil.
- Sautee garlic until aromatic.
- Add carrots, onions, potatoes, and zucchini. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, soy sauce, and vegetable stock.
- Simmer until vegetables are al dente. About 10 minutes.
- Stir in roasted curry and flour mixture.
- Simmer until thick.
- Season with salt if needed.
The next time you want to add some eastern flavour to your meals, keep calm and curry on with our tasty Japanese sushi rice balls!