Lentil Soup With Egyptian Spices recipe shared by Rebecca from RawSpiceBar.
Lentil Soup With Egyptian Spices
Author: Rebecca - RawSpiceBar
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 pouch RawSpiceBar's Egyptian Spices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb lentils
- 2 quarts vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 loaves whole-wheat pita bread
- olive oil
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, salt and celery. Cook, stirring until onions are translucent, about 7 min.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes & RawSpiceBar's Egyptian Spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil then turn down the heat to low and simmer for 35-45 min, until vegetables are very soft.
- While the soup is simmering, make the croutons. Preheat oven to 200C. Cut or tear pita bread into bite-sized pieces. Toss with a generous drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt then spread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Place in oven for about 10-12 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Puree the soup with a blender in batches, until smooth. Adjust seasoning and serve with croutons and a sprinkle of dukkah if you like. Enjoy!