Meatloaf is always a great dinner to enjoy with the family or to have leftovers for a few days to reheat.
The only problem I’ve had with meatloaf was the puddle at the bottom of the pan when using hamburg. I took care of that problem by buying a meatloaf pan that allows the grease to drain to bottom of the pan.
Then I decided to try my meatloaf recipe with ground turkey for a healthier meatloaf. It was awesome, but now I have to line the bottom pan of the meatloaf pan with foil since only the tangy sauce drips through to the bottom because there really isn’t much fat in ground turkey.
Give this great recipe a try and post your comments and tweaks below. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs Ground Turkey
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Parsley Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 small Onion (diced)
- 2 tsp minced or chopped Garlic
- 1 Carrot (grated) (optional)
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 3 TBS Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Mustard
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Break up ground turkey into a large bowl.
- Season meat with garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, parsley flakes and salt.
- Mix together well. Mixing with your hands works best. If using a spoon, be sure spices are distributed throughout the meat and mix well.
- Add onion, garlic and grated carrot, mix well.
- Add beaten egg, mix well. At this point the ground turkey will seem really wet and slimy.
- Add bread crumbs and mix well. The wet, slimy feeling of the meat should go away once the breadcrumbs are added.
- Shape mixture into a ball then work into a loaf shape a little narrower then pan.
- Place meatloaf in pan, press closed any cracks. Loaf should not touch sides of pan.
- Mix together ketchup, brown sugar and mustard.
- Spread sauce mixture over top of loaf.
- Bake the meatloaf @ 350 for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Don't add more then 1/4 cup extra bread crumbs if trying to firm up loaf. With the ground turkey, it will end up a bit dry. Trust that the moister meatloaf will cook up nice and not soggy.