Overnight Sweet Potato, Spinach, and Bacon Breakfast Casserole recipe shared by Nikki from MyNutriCounter.
Potato originates in South America, where Peruvian Inca Indians started to cultivate it around 8,000 B.C. to 5,000 B.C. Later, following the discovery of the modern day America by Christopher Columbus, the Spanish and Portuguese galleons brought the potato over to the Old World. Conquistadors named these white root tubers the batata or patata. Europeans then re-introduced the potato back into the northern part of America in the late 1600s, but surprisingly it only became a popular crop by the middle of the following century due to Scotch-Irish immigrants settling in New England.
Now, the potato is the world’s fourth largest food crop, following rice, wheat and maize. It’s boiled, fried, steamed, sautéed, used in pancakes, soups and savoury puddings. Due to this versatility, potatoes are consumed more than any other vegetable in the world.
What could be a better start to the day than some healthy homemade deliciousness? So, we strongly recommend you to try our Overnight Sweet Potato, Spinach, and Bacon Casserole recipe to provide a quick energy-boosting breakfast option. The potato is a carbohydrate-rich and low-fat veggie providing you with a high amount of readily digestible energy. The protein in potato is relatively low, however the firm potato tubers are particularly rich in vitamin C, B-vitamins and potassium. But the real vitamin leader in our recipe is spinach being exceptionally high in vitamins A, K and folic acid. Even more, the recent advances in medical nutrition has proved its role as a functional food, meaning the phytochemicals in its content exhibit anti-cancer, weight loss and hypoglycemic activities.
- 500g/17.5oz sweet potato
- 70g/2.5oz frozen spinach, chopped
- 75g/2.5oz shallots, minced
- 150g/5.25oz lean bacon, chopped
- 60ml/2fl oz coconut milk
- 6 medium-sized eggs
- 15g/0.5oz nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 30ml/1fl oz olive oil
- Boil the sweet potatoes until tender enough to grate. This would take 10-15 minutes depending on the size.
- When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and grate with a coarse cheese grater.
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the bacon and sauté until slightly brown.
- Add the shallots and sweat until translucent.
- Add the spinach and sauté for about a minute.
- Season with salt.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, paprika, and nutritional yeast.
- Stir in the bacon and spinach mixture.
- Brush a baking dish/tin with olive oil.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes into an even layer at the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until eggs are fully set and slightly brown at the edges.
Our savoury potato casserole is guaranteed to apeel to your healthy breakfast wants.