Pavakkai Pitlai (Bitter Gourd and Groundnut Curry) recipe shared by Priyanka Dave from India Food Network.
Pavakkai Pitlai recipe is a kind of sambar made using bitter gourd and peanut in a fresh ground masala with coconut base. Bittergourd pitlai recipe is an easy to make dish and even goes great with roti. Pavakkai pitlai gourd and groundnut curry is a famous Kuzhambu in Kerala and some parts of Kanyakumari district.
- 1.5 tbsp sesame seed oil
- Curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 cup chopped bitter gourd
- Pinch turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Hing dissolved in water
- 1/3 cup boiled peanuts
- Gosseberry sized tamarind dissolved in water
- 2.5 tbsp Pitlai powder
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- Coriander leaves
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. Once it crackles, add curry leaves, karela, turmeric, hing and cook on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add tamarind water. Cook on a medium flame till raw aroma of tamarind disappears.
- Add pitlai powder , peanuts and enough water for gravy consistency.
- Simmer on a medium flame with jaggery for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander (optional) and serve with rice and appalam or flatbreads.