Best Turkey Enchiladas recipe shared by RecipesnFood.
Best Turkey Enchiladas Recipe
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 3 cups (12-oz) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 4 oz cans chopped green chiles, drained
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 12-6 inch soft corn tortillas
- 2½ cup (20 oz) canned Enchilada Sauce or make Enchilada Sauce (see below)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- Heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, garlic, cumin and sugar. Cook 15 seconds. Stir in the tomato sauce and water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper; reserve.
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Heat oven to 400 F.
- Combine the turkey, 2-cups, cheddar, ½-cup of sauce, chilies and cilantro. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Stack the tortillas on a microwave safe plate.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high until warm, about 40-60 seconds. Lightly coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with vegetable spray.
- Spread the warm tortillas out on a clean counter top. Place ⅓-cup of the turkey mixture evenly down the center of each tortilla. Tightly roll the tortilla and then lay seam side down in the baking dish.
- A second layer will be necessary. Lightly spray the enchiladas with vegetable spray.
- Pour 1-cup of the remaining sauce over the enchiladas to coat thoroughly. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese down the center of the enchiladas.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake 20-25 minutes, until heated through. Remove foil and continue to bake until cheddar cheese browns, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with remaining sauce.