Soy-Balsamic Roast Chicken and Vegetables recipe shared by Nikki from MyNutriCounter.
The local cuisine of the Philippines possesses a great collection of various dishes but there is one among them all that just about every Filipino loves. Undoubtedly, roasted marinaded chicken garnished with fruits and vegetables in endless ways is the true national dish. Its local name is Adobo Manok or Chicken Adobo where Adobo is derived from the Spanish word adobar meaning “vinegar-braised”. The dish was firstly recorded in 1613 by Spaniard Pedro de San Buenaventura. In times when there were neither electricity nor fridges, Filipinas found a simple way to keep meat longer by soaking in sour and spicy marinades before cooking. Though this method is definitely time-consuming, you will be rewarded with amazingly tender meat full of a thick savoury flavour.
Speaking nutritionally, the chicken meat is a valuable source of highly digestible, good quality protein with a low collagen content. It provides B-group vitamins like thiamine, pyridoxine and pantothenic acid and minerals (iron, copper, zinc). Being a part of vegetable-rich diets, poultry meat is usually associated with reduced levels of obesity. When consumed regularly chicken meat noticeably decreases the risk of cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes as it has less cholesterol than pork. Looking at the vegetable ingredients included in this delicious dish let’s focus on the squash which was traditionally used by folk medicines. It is considered to improve vision as it is high in pro-vitamin A carotenoids. Squash has a unique carbohydrate profile that helps to manage the symptoms of diabetes and normalizes food passages through the gut.
- 1 whole chicken, cut in half
- 300g/10.5oz squash, cut into 1” cubes
- 150g/5.25oz French beans
- 1 tbsp.olive oil, for brushing
- 1 tsp. chopped tarragon, for garnish
- 60ml/2fl oz balsamic vinegar
- 60ml/2fl oz honey
- 30g/1oz garlic, crushed
- 30ml/1fl oz soy sauce (Gluten free option)
- 2 tsp. crushed black peppercorns
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade. Toss chicken halves in and marinate overnight.
- Lightly brush a baking dish with olive oil.
- Take chicken out of the marinade and arrange skin side up on the baking dish. Season lightly with salt.
- Sear in the oven for 15 minutes at 220C/430F.
- Take baking dish out and set chicken aside.
- Toss squash in with the pan drippings.
- Add about a quarter cup of water to the baking dish.
- Arrange chicken back on top of the squash and continue roasting for 20 minutes at 180C/360F.
- Take baking dish out of the oven.
- Arrange French beans on top, brushing lightly with the pan drippings.
- Finish roasting for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh tarragon.