Spicy Italian Sausage with Ground Turkey shared by ChefCarol.
I love making my own sausage. Usually when I buy pre-made sausage, I remove it from the casing so it only makes sense to make a loose sausage or sausage patties. I use ground turkey because it’s leaner, but you can use ground pork or ground chicken if you prefer.
The seasoning is what makes the sausage. I prefer to use fresh herbs when available but dried herbs work well also. The crushed red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper really add a nice spicy kick to this sausage along with all of the other great seasonings. The fennel really gives it that authentic italian sausage taste.
*Sweet Italian Sausage version of this recipe available HERE.
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Oregano (dry)
- 1 1/2 tsp Parsley minced (fresh or dry)
- 1/2 tsp Thyme minced (fresh or dry*)
- 2 - 3 cloves Garlic (grated or minced)
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Fennel Seed (toasted)
- *if using dried Thyme, it is a bit twiggy so add to the spice grinder to grind down to powder. You'll get all the great flavor and no twigs.
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seed (toasted)
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Place Ground Turkey in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Heat a small skillet on Med-High Heat and add 3/4 tsp Fennel Seed to hot pan. Shake around a few times and toast for 2-3 minutes until you start to smell the fennel. Remove from heat, measure out 1/4 tsp fennel seed and set aside, pour the rest into the spice grinder and let cool.
- Add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Oregano, Parsley, Thyme, Garlic, Onion Powder, Paprika, Turmeric, Cayenne Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Crushed Red Pepper, Sea Salt and 1/4 tsp Fennel Seed (that you set aside earlier) to the Ground Turkey. Don't mix yet.
- The toasted seeds should be cool now, add 1/4 tsp Sea Salt to spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.
- Add to Ground Turkey and mix well with a spatula, pressing spices into meat while mixing the spices in.
- Mix until all spices look well incorporated, meat will be sticky.
- Place sausage into a bowl or bag and place in fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Heat skillet on Med-High Heat.
- Add 1 - 2 tsp Olive Oil to pan, swirl to coat.
- Break up sausage into pan and cook until no longer pink. Stirring sausage around to ensure even cooking.
- Server with your favorite pasta and sauce or on a sandwich.