Summer Berry Shortcakes With Vanilla Sauce recipe shared by RecipesnFood.
Summer Berry Shortcakes With Vanilla Sauce
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 cup fresh raspberries.
- 2 cup fresh blackberries.
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar.
- 2 tbs fiamboise or kirsch.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour.
- 1 cup cake flour.
- ¼ cup granulated sugar plus 1 tablespoon.
- 2 tsp baking powder.
- 1 tsp baking soda.
- 1 tsp salt.
- ¼ cup reduced fat cream cheese.
- ¾ cup buttermilk plus 2 tablespoons.
- 1 tbs canola oil.
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract.
- Garnish with strawberries.
TO MAKE BERRY FILLING :
- In a bowl, combine raspberries, blackberries, sugar and framboise (or kirsch).
- Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
TO MAKE & ASSEMBLE SHORTCAKES :
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk all-purpose and cake flours, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut cream cheese into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine ¾ cup buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined. (Dough will be slightly sticky; do not over-mix,)
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently pat into a ¾-inch-thick circle.
- With a floured 3- or 3½-inch cutter, cut out shortcakes and place on prepared baking sheet. Press dough scraps together and repeat to make 8 shortcakes.
- Brush shortcake tops with remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake shortcakes for 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. To serve, split shortcakes in half with a serrated knife.
- Set bottoms on dessert plates. Spoon on berry filling and vanilla sauce. Set tops on at an angle. Serve immediately.
- Makes 8 servings.