Tastiest Miso Soup recipe shared by Maren from EatingWorks.
Tastiest Miso Soup
Author: Maren - Eating Works
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 Tablespoons toasted or raw sesame oil
- 1 Medium onion (10 ounces), sauté slice
- 1 Carrot, matchstick cut (about 8 ounces)
- 2 Ribs celery, sliced thinly on the bias (about 6 ounces)
- 10 Shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly (thinner the better)
- 6 Cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Piece of kombu
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Cup wakame, soaked 10 minutes and drained
- ¼ Cup arame, soaked 10 minutes and drained
- 2 Quarts (8 cups) water
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger juice, or more to taste
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice OR brown rice vinegar, or more to taste
- 1 Cup white mellow miso, or more to taste
- 2 Scallions, thinly sliced; dried Nori sheets
- Heat oil in a 3-quart pot. Add onions, carrots, celery, shiitakes, garlic, kombu and salt. Sweat covered for approximately 10 minutes on low heat.
- Add wakame, arame. Continue to sweat covered for another 10 minutes. While soup is cooking peel ginger with the back of a spoon. Grate into shreds and then using cheese cloth squeeze the juice out of the ginger and set it aside
- Add water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for another 10-15 minutes. Turn off heat. Let broth stand for 5-10 minutes. Add ginger and lemon juice.
- Temper miso in bowl by mixing with 2 cups of broth. Add tempered miso back into the soup pot. Serve, garnished with scallions and nori.